Sunday 1 March 2015

Miss Violence (2013)

March Around The World 2015 Challenge - Greece

My first film in the March Around the World 2015 Challenge and what a stunning film it was!

It's Angeliki's birthday and, unusually, she looks unhappy, depressed even. After a dance with her Grandfather, and with a sad half-smile, eleven year old Angeliki throws herself from the apartment balcony and dies on the pavement below.

It's pretty much impossible to review this Miss Violence without giving away the entire film, so I won't. What I will say is that you need replace a film from your lists with this, right now!

Miss Violence has exemplary performances, an effective sparse sound design, superb editing and excellent, generally static, cinematography that reminded me of Michael Haneke.

A deeply unsettling film that, at first, seems quite slow but is filled with tension. It terrified me.

Well, what are you waiting for? Go watch it!

Original letterboxd review

No comments:

Post a Comment