Thursday 2 October 2014

How I Live Now (2013)

I get not telling us exactly why the conflict (I don't think an actual war was ever specified) happened but this doesn't excuse simple logical flaws. The information we are given is that the bomb was exploded by terrorists. How then do, I assume, a few terrorists, even if supported by a nation state, wage enough of a ground offensive to cripple an entire nation in such a short amount of time. I know we have several precedents for this (Ukraine for one) but the UK has a large standing army and I'm sure the UN would probably send a peacekeeping force and the US would also step in to ensure stability.

Also, how did they find their way home without a compass and map. It's pretty easy to miss a location if you are even a degree off course - the bird idea just doesn't cut it.

Anyway, gripe over.

The film is beautifully shot and the acting is pretty decent, bar the performance for the kid who plays Joe, the family friend. The conflict seemed very real and some scenes were extremely powerful, in fact a little to powerful for a lot of younger and probably older teens (this is a UK 15 certificate).

How the film compares to the book; I can't say. I borrowed the book off my daughter Ellie duing a flight to Norway and didn't finish it but enjoyed what I read.

Overall a great young adult drama, beautifully shot with good editing and performances.

Just remember kids; don't fuck with your cousins... literally.

Original letterboxd review

No comments:

Post a Comment