Sunday 8 March 2015

5 Broken Cameras (2011)

March Around The World 2015 Challenge - Palestine

"...my camera doesn't work well. What I have to film demands a strong camera, not a fragile one"

I thought this would make a fine, and opposing, companion piece to last night's Ida which I took to be a film about Polish guilt over the treatment of Jews during the Second World War.

A film by Emad Burnat documenting Israel's policy of Lebensraum and their illegal occupation of Palestine territory and it's effect on his family's village, seen through the lenses of five cameras that are ultimately broken by the conflict surrounding him.

Six minutes in and we are treated to one of the most chilling scenes I've seen in a documentary. Emad's wife, Soraya, is hanging out the washing on the flat roof of their home while nearby gun fire is heard. What happens next? The washing is still being hung, she doesn't flinch, she doesn't even blink. Then the following, spoken in a calm, matter-of-fact tone: "Emad, don't let the kids out. Soldiers are in the village".

A surprisingly non-partisan piece of film making and a perfect definition of documentary, by a man that has every right to be much angrier than he is. I cannot recommend this film highly enough.

I do realise that my use if the term "Lebensraum" may be considered inflammatory but I cannot see what else this type of expansion could be called.

Original letterboxd review

No comments:

Post a Comment