Thursday 2 June 2016

The Exorcist (1973)

Director's Cut AKA The Version You've Never Seen.

The eleventy-stupid time I've seen this film since about 1979 and it's still amazing.

Not a review but a couple of questions:

I'd like to think what others think of Ellen Burstyn's character, Chris MacNeil? Whiny, rich, entitled (two houses, three servants - and they are servants and not staff, an invitation to the White House that she casually dismisses and a daughter that wants a pony) and irritating as fuck but I think Burstyn nails it. Is her character a counterpoint for god? Is Blatty/Friedkin saying that our worship of false idols/films stars/celebrities has taken us further away from god?

It's funny how, as an atheist, and after watching some of the most gross and horrific films ever made that The Exorcist still scares me more than any other film. Is it because I'm subconsciously worried that my position could be wrong or that the dismissal of science for anything we cannot understand terrifies me?

Letterboxd Review

No comments:

Post a Comment