Wednesday 5 November 2014

Godzilla (2014)

I missed this at the cinema and can only assume that seeing it on the big screen allows to you to, well, see it. That doesn't really makes sense does it? The problem was that I couldn't see a bloody thing during the final fight. Nothing. Black with occasional muted red tints. Really, really annoying. I missed the payoff, the money shot. Is it just me? Does anyone else find the blu-ray really dark?

As for the rest. Bryan Cranston was annoying for the short time he was on screen. Ken Watanabe was awesome, as always. The sound design in places was fantastic, especially during the final fight; great use of muted sounds and silence. The HALO was very impressive and I'm a little jealous of the people that saw this sequence at the cinema.

Overall, a monster movie, driven by coincidence, with an extremely dark finish that ruined the entire film.

Original letterboxd review

No comments:

Post a Comment